We have exactly one week to go before CD's case goes to trial. At the trial, it is expected that CD's biological mother (and unknown father) will lose their parental rights. The trial is expected to result in CD then becoming legally free for adoption. What will happen next? How long will it take? When can we expect this to all be over?
I have no idea because they keep switching case managers on us and they don't have any clue either. Our latest case manager was with us for all of 6 weeks and yesterday announced that she is leaving for another job. So we will be between case managers come trial. I understand that the previous case manager, one who was moved to another unit, will be testifying, but I have this sinking feeling that she will be on vacation or something. Because that is how screwed up the system is.
So, I left a message for the man who has been supervising the last two case managers so I could ask some questions. I am hoping he is one of those that returns phone calls. I want some kind of timeline. I want to know if during the 45 day appeal period (after the trial) if we proceed with paperwork toward adoption or if it is a holding period. I want to know what all this "paperwork" is. I want to know how long it takes the Capital to process subsidy applications. I want to know when we should hire a lawyer. I want to know if they have all the information that they need or if there is something I can do to expedite anything. My last two case managers had no answers for these questions even though they work for the "adoption unit."
It is now going on 29 months since CD joined our family. It continues to boggle my mind that even though it has been close to a year since CD's biological mother called the court to announce that she wanted to surrender her rights to our family, even though she has been completely absent since August of 2011 and has not been located since February 2012, she still has parental rights and my husband and I have none. Zero. We have no rights at all. In reality, all we are are government licensed temporary guardians to CD. Basically 24/7 daycare except if they called us that, they would have to pay us at that rate.
I am strongly considering shutting down our license once CD is adopted. My husband wants to keep it open in case a few years from now I change my mind about wanting to do this again. I am afraid that life will calm down and I will want to do it again. I like to make life challenging when it gets calm. It is a defect in my personality. I am afraid that I would jump in again and kick myself for piling on the stress as I fall in love with another child and have to go on this insane journey in order to care for and protect the child. Reopening a license means starting from the beginning and going through the whole process again. There is no way I am doing that. I would sooner adopt an orphaned child abroad than do that.
I am tired. I feel old. But then I wonder, who is going to raise the next CD?