Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pretty incredible, this parenting thing

When my husband and I first became foster parents it was our intention to foster children who were no longer infants or toddlers.  We made a request that children ages 3 and up be placed in our home.  As is the foster system in our county, no one cared about what we requested.  At first we got no calls, then we got calls for sibling groups for whom we had no bedrooms and then no calls again.  Long time readers of this blog may remember that on the day CD arrived, it was as a result of a phone call I had made to a higher up in the child welfare food chain.  I complained that we were not getting calls and told the higher up that we could take up to two children (as long as they were the same sex as we had only one extra bedroom) and we asked that the children be younger than our biological children.

I wanted older children because, as a mother, if I had a choice, children would be born at the age of three.  Three is when the real funs starts, at least, for me.  So this higher up woman took my call seriously, walked my complaint over to the placement department and ten minutes later we were called about CD.  CD was 17 months at that time.  I couldn't say no just because she was younger than I had originally signed up for because it just felt so wrong to complain and then turn down a placement ten minutes later.

Today is CD's fifth birthday.  She is not a baby, not a toddler.  She colors in princess coloring books, she does puzzles on my iPad, can find her own clips on youtube, she plays dollhouse, she bakes with me, she went to her first movie (Frozen of course) and in just half a year, she will be in kindergarten. While sometimes that placement call seems like a lifetime ago, at other times I can't believe that CD is so big already.  It's a pretty incredible thing, this parenting thing.
.

3 comments:

  1. I have to laugh, because your line about wanting children to be born at age three -- that is EXACTLY me. I met my stepchildren at ages 3 and 5, which was perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been quite a journey but I'm so happy for your family that it has turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not the only one who feels this way! I am so NOT a baby person. We set our criteria as a sibling set (2, MAYBE 3 kiddos), ages 3 and up, and no more than one preschooler at time of placement. We ended up taking placement of three little girls -- a toddler (26 months) and two preschoolers (ages 3-1/2 and 4-1/2)! That's been almost 3-1/2 years ago and the girls are now 5-1/2, almost 7 and almost 8. It was HARD (and continues to be sometimes) but I would trade my "babies" for the world.

    Check out my new blog at softheartedmisanthrope.com !!!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are welcome but please choose a moniker.